The first question we ask our new clients is: "Who is your Target market?" and sometimes they enthusiastically reply, "Everyone can use our product!" (…groan…)
Please be advised that the general public is NOT your target market!
It is essential that you narrow down your target market to the group of people most likely to buy your product or service because even though it’s possible that a random person might come along and buy your product, when you are spending money on a direct marketing list you must narrow it precisely to your target market so that you can see a better return on your investment (ROI). This way you will see the BEST results and make more money!
The following plan will help you think about your target market, or at least provide food for thought for you to discuss with your list broker.
My ideal customer is:
A Consumer at home address:
- Income is ___________
- Occupation is ____________
- Age is _________
- Homeowner or renter?
- Type of car
- Presence of children? Number of children?
- Donates to: __________
- Has this kind of pet: _______________
A Business Owner or Business Person
- Retail Store?
- Service such as lawyer, plumber, contractor
- Work at Home?
- Other: _______________
- An employee at a certain type of Business
- Ideal Title of the person is __________
- A non profit Group
- An Association
- Professional or volunteer?
- A Professional
- Financial Advisor
- Fitness Trainer
- Marriage Counsellor
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Other: _________________
Now comes the fun part. Thinking again about whom exactly your ideal customer is, think of the things that they MUST do in order to fit into your target market:
- Must work as a ___________________
- Must be _________________ (married, divorced, single, widowed)
- Must have donated to _____________ (cause) within the past ________ (timeframe)
- Must have this specific interest: __________________
- Must have experience with: ____________ (swimming pools, certain software, horses, etc)
- Must have an interest in _____________
- Must have this specific ailment: _______________
- Must be retired
My ideal customer also:
- Must read these magazines/newspapers: _______________________________
- Lives in ___________ (zip code, city, county, radius around a zip code, country, etc)
Are you getting the idea?
Contact one of our motivated brokers today at 1-888-848-1215 or fill out a free Research Request to get some help determining your target market.
We look forward to helping you succeed!